Stretching over some 100 hectares in the commune of Pauillac, the vineyards of Lynch-Bages sit among favourably designed hillcrests located south and southwest of the city. Located at the 45th parallel, 50 km north of Bordeaux, the terroir of Lynch-Bages enjoys a temperate climate.
Lynch-Bages Estate owes part of its name to the ancient hamlet of Bages, which for centuries was home to generations of winemakers.
The area of “Batges” is mentioned as early back as the sixteenth century in the terriers (estate records) of Lafite. In 1749, The property passed into the Lynch family for seventy-five years.
Lynch-Bages is classified among the Fifth Growths in the prestigious 1855 Classification.
In the 1930s, General Félix de Vial leased the vineyard to Jean-Charles Cazes, who was already in charge of Château Ormes de Pez in Saint-Estèphe. Cazes would go on to purchase both properties on the eve of the Second World War. Lynch-Bages has been run by the Cazes family ever since.